Thursday, October 13, 2011

Attack on Women's Health

For one of the previous blog assignments, I was looking for a bill that was trying to pass in the House and I came upon one that dealt with federal funding of  medically-necessary abortions in hospitals.  So I came upon a blog posted on Huffington Post by California House representative Lois Capps.  In big bold letters it read "House Republicans Attack Women's Health Again."  The issue at hand is House bill, H.R. 358, which would restrict a woman's ability to get insurance coverage for an abortion.  Lois Capps is against the bill because it has a loophole that would allow a hospital to refuse medical services to a woman that is having complications with her pregnancy and requires an emergency abortion.  She mentions that this bill would override the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA).  This law was established so that anyone arriving at an emergency room would be able to receive medical care to stabilize their condition regardless of their ability to pay.  She is absolutely on target to be against this bill.  Lois Capps offered an amendment to the bill that would remove that loophole but it was defeated.  The bill passed with 251 in favor and 170 against.  I agree with her that this is "an extreme attack on women's rights."  I'm not taking a stance on abortion here, but I believe that a medically necessary abortion should be a covered health expense.  If it is an issue of life or death, no one should be denied medical attention.  This shouldn't even be up for debate and much less considered a law.  Lawmakers should not put medical providers or hospitals in a position to refuse services to a pregnant woman.  Hospitals exist to provide necessary care and only need the consent of the patient. What do they suggest  hospitals do when a woman arrives in dire pain and bleeding to death?  I don't think this one was thought out much and its incredible that it got past the House.  

No comments:

Post a Comment